When I saw The Amazing Spiderman 2 I got my money’s worth. The movie spoke to me emotionally, spiritually and entertainingly.
There were several poignant moments/thoughts [spoilers]:
- The moment when the bullies are chasing the one science kid (Jorge) and pushing him around. Spiderman, the guy who fights crime and stops terrorist events, comes to fight for the little guy!
- The way that Spidey handled Electro’s confrontation with police in Time Square was excellent. He tried to bring calmness, understanding and reconciliation to the situation. But when that didn’t work he fought alongside NY’s finest to bring an end to the danger.
- I felt for Peter as he tried to understand his role in the lives of those around him. His role with Gwen which was complicated by his concern for her safety and his promise to her father. His role as Harry’s friend and taking the hard road to say “This isn’t good for you so I must say no.”
- Aunt May’s epiphany about moving on from the past and not letting it control you.
- Most of all: the moment when Jorge stands out in danger in his Spiderman costume, facing the giant of the Rhino. The Rhino has all that firepower but then Spiderman comes in and takes over the fight.
Spiderman is all about hope and so is this movie. Hope in danger. Hope in fractured relationships. Hope in the loss of a loved one.
Proverbs tells us that “hope deferred makes the heart sick but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life” (13:12).
We have hope in Christ and in his redemption. Romans 5:1-7 tells us:
Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand.And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings,because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless,Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die.
While I was watching the movie God said “You are like the little boy and I am like Spiderman. When you step out to fight a battle I’ll show up to fight it for you.” I came to tears after seeing this movie. Not a lot, but tears nonetheless.
THERE IS HOPE!!!!